Wednesday, December 21, 2011

(Egg) Biscuits for Breakfast on a Birthday Boy's Big Day

December 21 - Matt has a birthday.  Due to the fact that he cooks breakfast every morning, I figured on the day of his birth, I had better step up and cook the most important meal of the day (or so they say). 

Egg Muffins, as they should probably be called, are one of my favorite things to make, because they're like tiny little individual frittatas and they're extremely versatile (and SUPER easy).  I have made them with everything from smoked salmon to italian beef to shrimp to ham to totally vegetarian.  Basically, whatever leftovers you have can be turned into Egg Muffins.  They don't have to just have bacon or ham or sausage... though as Matt was sitting in the car in the Walmart parking lot last night, as I finished up last minute Birthday shopping, I was scrambling (no egg pun intended) to find something to fix for breakfast, I ran into pre-cooked turkey sausage crumbles.  I then saw a flash of light and egg muffins popped into my brain - the plan had been formulated. Eggs and sausage - a fabulous combination. 

Sausage Egg Muffins


1 Egg
1 cup of Egg Whites
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
Red Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, chopped very small.  I used probably 3/4 cup of vegetables - you can use whatever veggies you want.
Pre-cooked Turkey Sausage Crumbles or whatever protein you want, just make sure it is kind of small so you can distribute it.
1 cup shredded Cheese (I used a low fat fiesta blend)

Mix egg and egg whites in a bowl, add garlic and salt and pepper to taste.  Spray your muffin pan liberally.  Pour in enough egg mix for approximately 1/4" in the bottom of each muffin hole.  Sprinkle in sausage crumbles and veggies, top with cheese, add more veggies or sausage if it's looking sparse.  Pour more egg mix on top. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until done... I don't use a timer so I don't know the exact time. 

Note:  One of the best things to add to this mix is chopped up water chestnuts... delicious!  Also, experiment with herbs and other seasonings.  Spinach is really good with feta.  Salmon with swiss is delicious.  Another great thing to add is goat cheese or the Laughing Cow Cheese in little chunks.  You can do these in a big pan as well and just cut into squares.   Asparagus is another favorite.. and broccoli... ok I could go on all day.  We've tried probably 100 different combinations and they're always wonderful!

Just Keep Tasting!

Happy Birthday to my wonderful husband - without your continual encouragement to document my recipes and praise of my cooking, I would have not started this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment