Friday, February 24, 2012

I like Pineapple. I like Shrimp. I like Teriyaki. Pineapple Shrimp Teriyaki.

When we visited Chaang Thai in Morgantown, they had a pineapple dish of sorts.  It intrigued me, but had no effect in swaying me from the curry.  It sounds much too risky.  Sweet pineapple and meat... I'm adventurous, but I have to get my feet wet before I dive the whole way in.

I recently learned that you can take the top of a pineapple and take off all the riff raff and plant it and it will grow into a pineapple tree.  Sounds like a simple concept but it had never crossed my mind before!  Promptly after learning this, I of course had to buy a pineapple so that I could try it. 

There is a recipe forthcoming. I promise.  A whole pineapple is a lot to commit to for two people.  It lived on top of the refrigerator for about a week, as I, time and time again, forgot to cut it up when people were over.  As with most things... I was worrying it was about to spoil so I wanted to come up with a good use for it other than just eating it raw.  And voila, a recipe was born.

 Pineapple Shrimp Teriyaki


2 cups Pineapple
2 cups Shrimp
1/2 cup White Onion (chopped)
1/8 cup Jalapenos (sliced thin)
1/4 cup Red Peppers (chopped small)
3/4 cup Teriyaki Sauce (store bought)
2 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp Cooking Sherry
2 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Honey
1/3 cup Mango Hot Sauce (Melinda's or your choice)

Heat skillet and then add oil.  Saute the onion for 1-2 minutes, add pineapple, and saute this mixture until the pineapple starts to tenderize, (approx. 4-5 minutes).  Add jalapenos and red peppers.  Add all ingredients except the shrimp.  Let cook for 5 minutes or until the mixture starts to thicken (but don't let your pineapple cook down to mush.)  Make sure shrimp is well drained and add to the mixture.  I used thawed pre-cooked medium shrimp. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. 

This would be excellent with rice... if you're into that sort of thing!


If you can't find this.. you could just substitute some hot sauce and mango puree or juice... we went through a mango kick and have all sorts of mango products, including mango baby food - it works well for vinaigrettes. 

As it turns out... the pineapple was a must-pair with the shrimp.  Absolutely delicious.  You have to Just Keep Tasting.  Another fruit pairing that I was suspicious of for absolutely no reason at all!!

We also made enough Chicken Stir Fry this same night to eat for nearly every meal the remainder of the week. It must have been 2 gallons... we had a lot of vegetables that needed to be used and it just so happens you can put just about anything in a stir-fry. Due to the fact that there were so many ingredients... I can't really recall the recipe to transcribe it here.  Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment