Friday, January 27, 2012

Saturday Mornings are for Running Dogs and Eating Omelettes

An omelette can be a beautiful creation or an artery clogging mess. With a few simple ingredients, you can make a delightful breakfast that will keep you full and energized until you're out shopping on a Saturday and decide it's lunchtime.  Dining out and not splurging on decadent food isn't my strong suit, but I'm getting much better.  Most often, Matt just takes me to Sam's Club for lunch.... it's like a tapas bar, but you have to pay no less than $100 to get out of there.  Fair trade I guess.

Matt makes breakfast all week, so I usually take charge on the weekends (sometimes in the form of pulling leftovers out of the refrigerator).  Saturdays are a good day to take whatever leftovers are floating around, chop them up, and smash them with the confines of an egg enclosure.  Win win.


Some of my favorite omelette ingredients are bacon, cheese, more bacon, asparagus, broccoli, onion, peppers, more bacon.  Also a pizza omelette is pretty delicious. In an effort to keep this a healthy endeavor, I went with light ingredients.

Eat Up Your Leftover Veggies Omellete


1 1/4 cups Egg Whites (or eggs)
1/2 cup Asparagus (cut into 1" pieces)
1/4 cup Bell Pepper (color of your choosing, I used orange)
1/4 cup Mushrooms (chopped)
1/8 cup Onions (chopped)
1/2 cup Butternut Squash (previously roasted)
5 slices Canadian Bacon (chopped into 1/2" pieces)
2 Laughing Cow Wedges - Swiss (light) 35 calories/wedge and no carbs!
Garlic powder, salt, pepper to taste

In a skillet, saute canadian bacon until it starts to brown, add remaining vegetables, add garlic powder, salt, pepper.  Cook until tender, but still crisp.  In another skillet, begin omelette.  When nearly firmed up, take the cheese and slice it into pieces and drop evenly across half of the omelette.  Top with canadian bacon/veggie mix.  Let cook for another minute to melt the cheese.  You're done. Enjoy!

My favorite way of cooking is to just take whatever is in the fridge and figure out what to make with it.  I dislike having to run out to the store for anything... ever.  I just change the recipe if I don't have what I need... unless I'm cooking for other people. If that's the case, I want to make sure I'm not feeding people some crazy concoction.  Matt and I are pretty open to trying whatever.  Sometimes it's fabulous... sometimes it's ok... but we always eat it.  Also, I never use mayo - we have never had mayo in our house and I hope we never do.  You can substitute Greek yogurt or sour cream for mayo in pretty much any recipe ever.  Greek yogurt is so good for you anyways... why not use it!!  When creating recipes out of the blue... you have to Just Keep Tasting until you get it right (and that may mean making it more than once...)

Neat trick - if you're lining a pan with foil, turn the baking pan upside down and place foil over it, so when you turn it over, it slides right in!

No comments:

Post a Comment