Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Slurp It Up Chicken Curry

We made an adventure to Morgantown and decided we would grab some lunch while there.  We made our way to Chaang Thai, walked in the door and were greeted by silence and desertion. I made my way to the bathroom and made a lot of noise trying to attract attention.  I even had to search around the back end of the restaurant for a light switch for the bathroom.  I came out and yelled into the kitchen.  Nothing.  I made my way back to Matt and he says, "It's 11 o'clock.  They don't open until noon."   Our mistake.  Off to Maxwell's we went.

This event was on a Saturday morning, so naturally I had to make the meal I wanted that evening: Curry Chicken.

It's been a little while since I made this, so I hope I get the measurements correct.

Curry Chicken


3 Chicken Breasts (thinly sliced into 2" pieces - easier if slightly frozen)
1 can Coconut Milk
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
1 cup Chicken Stock
1 tbsp Lime Juice
1/3 cup Curry Powder
3 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Coriander
3 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Tumeric
2 tbsp Sriracha
2 tbsp Mustard Powder
2 tbsp Splenda or Sugar
1 tsp Fish Sauce
2 tbsp Red Curry Paste
1 tsp Worcestershire 
2 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)

Optional:
Veggies
1/2 Zucchini (1" pieces)
1/2 Yellow Squash (1" pieces)
6 Button Mushrooms (quartered)
1 Carrot (julienned)
3 Green Onions (sliced)
2 cans Water Chestnuts
1 can of Bamboo Shoots
1 Hot Pepper (minced)

I used the Dutch Oven that my Grandma Natalee got us for Christmas, which is possibly my favorite kitchen tool at this point.  It cooks wonderfully, looks pretty, and cleans up to look brand new!

Mix coconut milk, broth, and dry ingredients in a Dutch Oven or other dish (yes, including a crockpot!).  Add the remaining ingredients and bake until chicken is cooked through (I usually judge by the smells wafting from the oven...)  The curry/coconut milk slurry will start to brown up around the edges and it will be nice and bubbly.  Top with cilantro and more Sriracha!  Enjoy!

The other photographed food item in the photo above is Italian Venison (made like Italian Beef - see recipe in a previous post - http://justkeeptasting.blogspot.com/2011/12/steak-omelette-italian-beef-and-sesame.html.)  Topped with Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese and hot veggie mix.  YUM!

We had Taco Salad one night, with leftover burrito meat... it was delightful.  My favorite Taco Salad dressing is:

Chili Lime Vinaigrette


1 cup Brown Vinegar
3 tbsp Chicken Stock or Oil
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Lime Juice
1 tsp Cilantro


Happy Eats!  A tip of mine that my sister recently found appreciation for is marinating chicken in coconut milk before cooking with it.  It keeps the chicken moist and gives it a creamy taste.  The next time I fry chicken (stay tuned for that), I am so marinating it in coconut milk first.  I haven't made fried chicken since I made this fabulous discovery. The sauce from the Curry Chicken (if you're brave enough to Just Keep Tasting) is divine... and we literally drink the leftovers out of our bowls - embarrassingly enough, I admit it.  That just means it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment