Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's a Sunday Afternoon and I'm Feeling Like a Steak and Blue Cheese

So after running to Panera Bread for a sub-par salmon salad, I had a craving for red meat (odd by ALL accounts for me, because red meat isn't on the top of my favorite foods list... in fact, it barely makes any foods list at all, unless it's shaved beef with peppers and onions sandwiched between two doughy sides of a slightly toasty roll, smothered in cheese.)  So when I mentioned that a steak sounded good, Matt was off the couch in .2 seconds with keys in his hand asking if I needed anything else.  "Blue cheese!"  And that's how dinner was born.

Matt returned with half of a cow... a London Broil. I  have no idea how many pounds this thing was, but I mentally turned my nose up at it, because I, of course, had envisioned beautiful Filet Mignons, probably wrapped in bacon, and preferably already cooked.  So I hauled the hunk of meat out of the fridge and laid it next to the stove to come to room temperature... helps with cooking it more evenly.  I then sliced it into more manageable sized pieces.  I think I came out with 5 portions that were probably 6-7 oz each. 

Sunday Blue Cheese Steak


London Broil (or whatever steak, approximately 2 lbs.)
2 tbsp Old Bay Seasoning
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tbsp Garlic Powder
2 tbsp Steak Seasoning (whatever blend you have)

Season each side with half of the seasoning. Heat a cast iron skillet on high.  Add oil.  Add steak.  Sear each side and put in a 500 degree oven until cooked through.  Add blue cheese crumbles on top and put back in the oven until melted. 

Peppers and Onions for on top of the Blue Cheese Steak - YES!

2 cups Peppers
1 cup Onions
1 tbsp Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Pepper
1 tsp Salt

Heat a pan on high, add oil, place peppers and onions in. Season.  When nearly cooked through, add garlic.  Cook until tender.  Spoon over steak!

A deliciously satisfying meal, that we got several uses out of.  Matt likes his steak bloody. He says I cooked his perfectly.  After many years of cooking for him... that would be a first.  Congratulations to me!  (*cough* ew. blood. *cough*)





P.S.  The steak does not look nearly as bloody as it actually was. 

I've tried the rare meat... and you can Just Keep Tasting, but that doesn't mean you'll change your mind!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how different we are when it comes to meat. Mmmm steak

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful and I am with Matt, I like a bloody steak!

    ReplyDelete